- Must have the desire and aptitude to listen, learn and work with your hands and mind.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Provide copies of the following documents at the time of application:
– Birth certificate
– High school diploma or G.E.D.
– High school and college grade transcripts
– Valid driver’s license and a valid Nevada driver’s License prior to acceptance
– Military release papers DD-214 (if applicable)
– Proof of previous sheet metal experience (if applicable)
- Be able to pass a basic math and reading competency exam administered by the committee.
- Appear before the JATC board for an oral interview.
- Those applicants selected are subject to a substance abuse test prior to being indentured.
The Apprenticeship Committee will accept applications for apprenticeship at our training center the first Tuesday of each month between the hours of 8:30 – 11:30 a.m., and 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. Applications must be submitted in person, and you must meet the minimum qualification requirements, NO EXCEPTIONS.
The following is a guide to assist you in preparation for the reading and math test given as part of the Sheet Metal Local #88 Apprenticeship application process. This is only a general guide and is not all-inclusive.
o Reading and Comprehension of Short Articles
o Reading and Interpretation of Graphs and Charts
o Reading and Interpretation of Short Articles
- Word problems
- Problem solving and reasoning
o General Math
- Define Integers
- Identify a Quadratic Equation
- Mechanical Reasoning (gears – power and rotation)
o Fractions and Decimals
- Convert Fractions to Decimals
- Convert Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers
o Linear Measurements
- Reading a Standard Rule
- Addition of Feet and Inches
- Subtraction of Feet and Inches
o Liquid Measurements
- Pints = Quart
- Quart = Gallon
- Definition of Acute Angle
- Definition of Obtuse Angle
- Triangles (# sides, sum of angles)
- Pythagorean Theorem