- Must have the desire and aptitude to listen, learn and work with your hands and mind.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Provide a valid Nevada driver’s license prior to acceptance as well as copies of the following documents at the time of application:
– Birth Certificate (if written in a language other than English, provide a notarized translation)
– High School diploma or equivalent certificate (if unavailable, must provide sealed transcripts with graduation date)
– College grade transcripts (if applicable)
– Military release papers DD-214 (if applicable)
– Proof of previous sheet metal experience (if applicable)
- Be able to pass a basic math and reading competency exam administered by the committee.
- Appear before the JATC board for an oral interview.
- Those applicants selected are subject to a substance abuse test prior to being indentured.
How to Apply
The Apprenticeship Committee will accept applications for apprenticeship at our training center the first Tuesday of each month between the hours of 7:30 – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. Applications must be submitted in person, and you must meet the minimum qualification requirements, NO EXCEPTIONS.
The following is a guide to assist you in preparation for the reading and math test given as part of the Sheet Metal Local #88 Apprenticeship application process. This is only a general guide and is not all-inclusive.
o Reading and Comprehension of Short Articles
o Reading and Interpretation of Graphs and Charts
o Reading and Interpretation of Short Articles
- Word problems
- Problem solving and reasoning
o General Math
- Define Integers
- Identify a Quadratic Equation
- Mechanical Reasoning (gears – power and rotation)
o Fractions and Decimals
- Convert Fractions to Decimals
- Convert Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers
o Linear Measurements
- Reading a Standard Rule
- Addition of Feet and Inches
- Subtraction of Feet and Inches
o Liquid Measurements
- Pints = Quart
- Quart = Gallon
- Definition of Acute Angle
- Definition of Obtuse Angle
- Triangles (# sides, sum of angles)
- Pythagorean Theorem
The following is a list of websites that maybe helpful: